It’s starting to get cold here..

The weather is starting to turn cold. Yesterday (Sunday) it rained basically all day, but we persevered through it and went on to do some housing, and didn’t get into a single one. It was a little bit discouraging, but eventually we had to go back to the apartment and do some study time (because of church, we couldn’t do it that morning).  We are supposed to do studying every day, so, in order to be obedient,we had to. We got back to the apartment at 5, and studied until about 7.  Then we went to visit an investigator. He lives by the church, which is about  a 30 minute walk away, and taught him for about an hour. He is struggling to have faith, and is very open to admitting it. He says that he thinks that there is a god, but also thinks that he is unable to believe in him. Next time we meet, we’re going to tell him about god and faith and stuff. His name is Honda San, and he is around 68, and has been an investigator for something like 30 years. I feel like if we can get him to have faith, and come to church for the first time, and be baptized he’ll be a super awesome member. He’s kind of like Rondee. He may not be ready right now, but when he is, he’ll never leave. I also went to church yesterday. I met a ton of ward members, but they may as well have been speaking latin for how well I could understand them. The bishop is the nicest guy ever, but the ward is only about thirty people. There is no youth, so it’s a couple of people under 50, one younger couple, around 33, and the rest look like they’re all about 200. It’s a good time. We actually had two investigators come yesterday, actually the sisters brought one, and we brought another. I think the one the sisters brought liked it. He’s pretty old, so I think that he felt something in common there. Ours is a college student, so it was kind of weird for him. Other than that not much else has happened.

The night we got there we slept on futons and rice pillows, at the mission home, which was super nice. The second night, everyone but me and one sister stayed there because their areas are really far away.  I’m in a city called Ebetsu. It’s a little offshoot from the main city of Sapporo, and is apparently the place where everyone starts off. The morning after we got there, we ate breakfast at the mission presidents house. It was some awesome french toast, fruit, grape juice, yogurt, rice balls, and this gross stuff called Nato. Nato is fermented soybeans. They come in this little package, and are basically little beans drenched in mucus that you’re supposed to douse in soy sauce and eat with chopsticks. It was not so much the flavor that was awful, but the texture. They’re all slimy and nasty and gross. You can’t even chew them. If you try to move them around in your mouth, you just gag like there is no tomorrow.

As far as  transportation, we ride a train most places because I am getting my bike today. on thursday, we took a train back to the mission home because we had to be there for transfers, even though we are already at our area. After that we went to this place called Legon that makes the best soup curry ever. You eat that with a spoon and chopsticks. More later. Up until today we basically walk everywhere, which is good for trying to talk to people, but slow and tiring. I’m excited to get a bike.

Other things. My trainer is awesome is loves to work really hard. His name is also Elder Thompson. When we saw each other the first day we just kind of knew that we were going to be companions somehow, it was pretty cool. I ate melon bread for the first time, and it’s now my favorite food. It’s just bread with this sweet frosting like stuff on top. Super delicious, and then tomorrow I will be teaching Eikaiwa,which is an English conversation class. There is another old investigator that comes to that sometimes named uchiuzo san. He struggles with the word of wisdom and faith too, but he wants faith. He just isn’t willing to change to get it. We’re planning to teach him tomorrow. A long time ago, he was a vet, and he’s been pretty sick as of late, so instead of going to the hospital, he prescribed himself some dog medicine. It makes perfect sense right? We eat a ton of rice and instant food. For dinner the other day we had spaghetti. To make it, you boil the noodles, and then while you’re doing that, you stick a bag of sauce in with them and just cook them together. I am amazed that we don’t have those things in America.

On Saturday, I did my first door approaches. They were terrifying. In Japan they have little speaker boxes on the outside of their houses. Everyone has them. We refer to them as “Kekko(no thank you ) boxes” The members also give us a ton of food. Yesterday they gave us the best tasting apple ever, which is weird because apples and other fruits are super expensive. It was actually the size of Ollie’s head. We ate it for breakfast this morning along with hole in toast. What that is, is a piece of bread with a hole cut out of the middle and an egg fried in it. It was super good. ( The members also give us a ton of eggs).

Other than that, we continue to see miracles every day. I’m writing one down every day so that when I get back I can look in my journals and have proof that something miraculous happened every single day, and be able to tell people all about them. It’s has helped me remember to always be on the lookout for them.

My apartment is huge, when it comes to missionary standards. it’s actually supposed to house 4, but there will only be us two in it for basically ever. It has no tatami mats, only a hardwood floor, and no oven. The microwave doubles as an oven, and we have one thing that basically nobody else has. A hot water storage thing, like in America. They’re just like the ones in America, but they are super rare in Japan. We also have a washer and a dryer. It’s pretty wonderful. I’m actually out of writing time now, I’m incredibly sorry that I couldn’t write everyone personally. I will throughout the week. I’ll type them in notes, and copy and paste them over and send them as I get time. We have to come to the church every day to do Ipad stuff, so

I’ll be able to send them then.

Miss you all

-Elder Smith.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s